This is re-post... but REALLY!!! Fires happen... (sometimes a LOT at the single-wide...) and the whole "fire safety" thing is VERY important to me. YOU are important to me. Personal experience talks:
Fire Extinguisher dust resting on your nose (good freckle cover if I do say so myself...),
Siren bells ringin' from the big red truck,
And folks dressed up like yellow eskimos...with a smoke mask...and long water hoses...
Have you done your fire safety check lately? With the holidays upon us there's extra flamage on the stove - scented candles burning - toaster ovens to blow up - pretty sparkly twinkly lights on the trees, over the windows, hanging from the ceiling - ovens to implode - propane heaters - space heaters and fireplaces (Stop, Drop and Roll Santy Claus!) - microwaves that spit sparks - crazy red.neck neighbors that like to build very large bonfires (s'mores anyone?) - circuits to short out - and so on...
What’s a traditional Christmas morning scene without a beautifully decorated tree? If your household includes a natural tree in its festivities, take to heart the sales person’s suggestion – “Keep the tree watered.”
Christmas trees account for hundreds of fires annually. Typically, shorts in electrical lights or open flames from candles, lighters or matches start tree fires. Well-watered trees are not a problem. A dry and neglected tree can be. If you are using a metallic or artificial tree, make sure it is flame retardant. Tips from: (http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/citizens/focus/holiday.shtm)
The following safe cooking tips can help to make your holiday dinner safe and enjoyable:
- Always use cooking equipment tested and approved by a recognized testing facility.
- Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen, even for a short time, turn off the stove. (example: don't go flyin' out to the labooooooratory 'cause the salad dressing made you think of a new pocketbook that was needing to be made...)
- Keep anything that can catch fire - potholders, towels or curtains (cats) - away from your stove top.
- Have a "kid-free zone" of at least 3 feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried. This only counts if your kid doesn't cook better than you...
- Wear short, close fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking. Loose clothing can dangle onto stove burners and catch fire (so can pocketbooks...).
- Never use a wet oven mitt, as it presents a scald danger if the moisture in the mitt is heated.
- Always keep an oven mitt and lid nearby when you're cooking (and a fire extinguisher or two). If a small grease fire starts in a pan, put on an oven mitt and smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan (not a phone book or home decorating magazine). Turn off the burner. Don't remove the lid until it is completely cool.
- If there is an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to prevent flames from burning you and your clothing. Have the oven serviced before you use it again. Tips from: (http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/citizens/focus/holiday.shtm) and a couple from your fav.o.rite red.neck
- Always remove the cardboard from the bottom of the frozen pizza and check all toaster ovens for potential fire hazards...fire happens...I'm just sayin'. Tips From: (http://www.redneckchic.com)
Maintain your Lighting...
Inspect each strand of lights each year for frayed wires (mouses like to eat at 'em here in my neck 'o the woods), bare spots, gaps in the insulation, broken or cracked sockets, and excessive kinking or wear before putting them up. Use only lighting listed by an approved testing laboratory. Try not to link more than three light strands, unless the directions indicate it is safe. Connect strings of lights to an extension cord before plugging the cord into the outlet. Make sure to periodically check the wires - they should not be warm to the touch. And - really try not to leave those lights on unattended! Tips from: http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/citizens/focus/holiday.shtm
(Flame-less Candles! With a timer! Great for the red.neck not allowed to burn candles!!!)
Avoid using lit candles. If you do use lit candles, make sure they are in stable holders and place them where they cannot be easily knocked over (or things thrown on them...that happens.). Never leave the house with candles burning...or, if you're me...don't leave the room. Never put lit candles on a tree. Hey, in my defense, I have never done that!!! Whoo Hoo!!! But, it is all part of the whole pyro safety thing. Tips from: http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/citizens/focus/holiday.shtm
And you know the drill...the fire drill that is, right? Escape route and meeting place for your family, cats, dogs and various critters. Be sure and check the batteries in your smoke alarms!!! I have some extra if you need some - but I'm not sharing my fire extinguisher(s) - those things are SO handy to have layin' round!!! But, I betcha' Santa will bring you a few with very little cattle-proddin'!!! They are very shiny red and pretty!
Now that I have left you with this Public Service Announcement - don't you feel wiser and more "fire proof"? Don't burn anything down.... I've got that covered. Or is it smothered? *shrug*
comin' to you LIVE from a single-wide (where I have a fake tree - I wonder what happens if I water it?)...hee-hee