Monday, December 14

I'll be Home for Christmas...


Well, I don't know where I'm going to be for Christmas... but I was home this week-end!  My fav.o.rite shopping spot... my Mama's house (5 finger discounts are the greatest, aren't they?)!  Seriously - I spied several things that need to come to my house... think she'd notice?  I've cropped all items of interest out so that she doesn't have photographic proof that she once owned certain items.


Glittery sparkly greenery everywhere in the house!

Now - my Mom and I are polar opposites in the decorating department.  She is normal - I am not.  She is traditional in her design and decor...I am not... give me the SLIGHTEST of slightest chances to show off her house and I am ALL over it. When I saw that The Nester and Southern Hospitality were hosting a Tour of Holiday homes - I jumped!

Welcome to My Mama's House!!!


 Formal Living Room...
And, just so you know...that's not my Mama, that's her owner, Posie. hee-hee

With age has come my love for red - and THAT I get from her (mirror, mirror on the wall...).  Just in a different way... she does traditional red with her toile and plaid and transferware dishes and and and... I go all out with some serious bohemian/vintagy style (or would that be red.neck?) - needless to say, her house makes WAY more sense.  LOL


Right off of the Entry...
This manger scene has been 'round for...I don't know how long.  And...for I don't know how long...it has ALWAYS been displayed in the dry sink that my Grandfather made (You will see LOTS of furniture and toys courtesy of his mastermind!)!  Here's a lil' FYI for you though...see the wise guy up in the very tippy top left?  See the tiniest bit of gold in his "hat"?  Well...I don't know how long ago...we had gold "dingly ball" trim layin' around and he REALLY needed a hat - so I'm fairly certain that is some version of 1970's harvest gold pom pom trim!


Top of the piano in the Formal Living Room...
My Mom is a  Choir Director/Pianist/Organist/Vocalist so I have ALWAYS grown up around a piano (or under it...depended on how much trouble I was gettin' in to during a service...) so the top of her piano gets the "OFFICIAL" treatment each Christmas!  One year there was a guest singer at our church and he was practicing at our house with my Mom before the service...well...when I was growing up the Christmas tree always sat at the end of the piano.  THAT year my older brother, myself and my little brother all sat in stunned disbelief (kinda like 3 monkeys on a limb) for roughly 15 minutes watching our Christmas tree tremble and shake and vibrate and dance 'round - I swear it moved 10' over to the right... that man had the biggest, boomiest (and tree shakin') voice I've ever heard...to this day. So, needless to say, each year that I see her piano all "Christmased" up I laugh...I make sure it's a big shaky, trembly laugh in his honor.

 
Dining Room...

This is where all the fun happens...and she's a pretty good cook too!  Did you know that you can cook a full on Christmas dinner without burning the house down?  I find that extremely impressive...


China Cabinet...


Inside of the China Cabinet...
My Grandfather made this GORGEOUS china cabinet for my Grandmother - it is soooooooooooo pretty!  And my Grandmother collected up "Father Christmas" figurines, ornaments...anything really... so my Mom has the hutch FULL of Santa's Merrymint!!!
And since we're in the dining room...


This here's a Christmas Cactus!  For YEARS my Grandmother would give my Mom a Christmas cactus and she would always have one too!  When my Grandmother passed away my Mom drug hers home with her... and here it is!  The crazy thing ONLY blooms when everyone in our family is coming home... and it doesn't seem to matter if it's Christmas or not!!!  I've seen this thing FULL of blooms at EASTER AND in AUGUST!!!  Not kidding!!! I guess my Grandmother is giving my Mom a heads up that she's gonna be invaded by her critters 'cause there are some flowers on here... huh.


Winter Wonderland in the dining room...


THIS is some of my Grandfather's handiwork!  He made lots of intricate toys...I have a few myself, but not a Santa sleigh... dang.  I think I missed cropping this photo... think she will notice if he drives his sleigh to my house?


 

Kitchen Table...
I have two things to say about this.
A.  Even the CAT has a Christmas dish and
B. I see the perfect spot for a bowl of lime green slime...

 
Shelves over the Buffet Cabinet in the Kitchen...


On top of the Buffet Cabinet in the Kitchen...
Sleigh bells ring, are you listenin'? No really, are you listenin'?  They are much more pleasing to the ears than fire alarms...

Next up?

The Mantle in the Den...


This Angel card was the first Christmas card my Mom got... and she was ALMOST one when she got it 'cause the whole world celebrates her birthday a week after Christmas!  Thank You for celebrating with her...her 40 somethin' anniversary of turning 21... (don't tell her I just told you that.)! She ALWAYS smiled from the top of our Christmas tree (the Angel, not my mother...)!


And this was my Grandfather's!  Do you think that horse is thinkin' "I did not sign up for this" or do you think he's happy to be pullin' along the Christmas tree?


Doctors Cart in the den... my Grandfather made that too!!!

I couldn't get a whole picture of the den for you 'cause my VERY OWN Santy Claus (my StepDad) was trying to take a nap... and I didn't want him to hang me from the mantle with care.  I guess I'll just show you that when you come to visit!  Believe me, my Mom's house is worth the trip (and she's got GREAT stuff...I'll offer you my discount...hee-hee (don't tell her I said that either.))! For me, Christmas is not only about celebrating the birth of our Savior, but about Family - the time spent with Family and the times TO BE spent with Family.  My Mom's house is full of praise and worship... memories and family...laughter and tears...and JOY - great JOY.

I'm going to load some more pictures up on my flickr page here in just a lil' bit, so if you need to see more - come visit me there!  In the meantime, go visit the Nesting Place and Southern Hospitality- there are SEW many beautiful homes on their Holiday Home Tours, you could get lost for days!!!  And SEW inspirational - Each and Every one of them!!!  For now?  Merry Christmas - from my Mom's house to Yours!!!

Comin' to you LIVE from a single-wide...hee-hee
;-) Robelyn

Blog Widget by LinkWithin