Wednesday, January 25

worried about oatmeal.


I'm a worrier. I know - that statement comes from out of nowhere, but it's a fact. However, I'm not your average worrier. You can tell me "the sky is falling! the sky is falling!" and I'll stand there all mouthhangin'open, wearing a silly grin while mumbling, "at least it's fluffy clouds and sparklin' thangs and not cinder blocks or tires!"!

Yes, I am disgustingly - you would want to whack me upside my head - optimistic in my worrying habits.

But... I'm still a silent worrier. And then it eats a hole in my belly. And then I'm havin' to eat oatmeal for a couple of weeks because:


This is a cereal that is considered to be soothing food for the nerves. It is one of the best sources of Inositol, which is important for maintaining blood cholesterol level. Oats are amazingly high in calcium, potassium and magnesium, together with lots of B complex -- all are vital to a healthy nervous system.

And it's easy on the belly that has a hole in it.

'Cept... I DO NOT LIKE oatmeal! Blech!

When I was little "the Mama" used to make us oatmeal for breakfast during the winter months before she would leave for work. So... I would sit at the dining table, legs dangling from my chair looking all angelic and innocent while waiting for my bowl of BLECH to cool off... it was SO amazing how it got JUST cool enough for the dog to eat it as "the Mama's" tail-lights rounded the corner.


I bought the "multi-flavor" box of oatmeal... cinnamon/apple, cinnamon spice and maple/brown sugar... it's still "blech". I did a google search: "How to make oatmeal taste better", and found these suggestions...

Raisins and brown sugar 
Low-fat granola and skim milk 
Currants and golden raisins 
Raspberry nonfat yogurt and dried cranberries 
Apricot fruit spread and sliced almonds 
Sliced strawberries and plain nonfat yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon 
Maple flavored pancake syrup and a sprinkle of sunflower seeds 
Canned crushed pineapple, sliced bananas, and chopped nuts 
Strawberry nonfat yogurt and sliced kiwi 
Sliced bananas and vanilla nonfat yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon 
Reduced fat peanut butter and strawberry fruit spread 
Chopped dates, raisins, and walnuts 
Coarsely chopped canned peaches and ground ginger 
Diced dried apricots and honey 
Apple butter and raisins 
Blueberry fruit spread and vanilla or plain nonfat yogurt 
Orange marmalade and dried cranberries 
Coarsely chopped apple and brown sugar 
Reduced fat caramel topping and a sprinkle of chopped pecans 
Warm apple pie filling and skim milk 
Honey crunch flavor wheat germ and cinnamon 
Canned pear slices and maple flavor pancake syrup 
Skim milk and sliced peaches 
Mixed dried fruit 
Cherry preserves and wheat germ 
Diced cranberries and maple flavored pancake syrup 
Chunky natural applesauce 
Sliced bananas and mini-semisweet chocolate morsels 
Blueberries and sliced strawberries sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar 
Canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice

Somewhere along the search I read, "soy sauce and sesame seeds"... who knew? How do you eat your oatmeal? Or... does your dog eat it? Mine might get a taste of it tonight...


comin' to you LIVE from a single-wide where it's raining today and yesterday and tomorrow (YAY!!!) but my pretty roof that is supposed to be invincible is leaking in my laundry room. (worry) At least it's not leaking through-out the whole house... but if it WAS leaking through-out the whole house, does the clean-up count as "mopping the floor?(disgusting optimism.) hee-hee
Blog Widget by LinkWithin