Thursday, June 7

cherry soup

google images

My throat feels like someone stuffed a roll of barbed wire down it... *dramatic pause*... or at the very least parked a dump trunk in it. Soup is on my mind 'cause chips hurt.

google images

I read a recipe (yes, I read recipes... doesn't mean I cook!) for Chilled Cherry Soup using honey in it just a few days ago:

INGREDIENTS

1 1-pound bag frozen, pitted cherries
2 cups pinot noir
1 teaspoon lemon zest, chopped
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
Cinnamon stick
1/2 cup water
Dash salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup water
Lemon or cherry sorbet (optional)

PREPARATION:

In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine cherries, wine, zest, sugar, honey, cinnamon stick, 1/2 cup water, salt and pepper. Stir to dissolve sugar and honey. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and reduce the liquid slightly, about 15 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and 1/4 cup water. Whisk cornstarch mixture into cherry mixture and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.

Remove soup from heat. Remove cinnamon stick from soup and place in bowl. Place fine-meshed strainer over bowl.

Puree soup in a blender, one cup at a time until smooth. Using a rubber spatula or back of a spoon to press out liquid, strain through fine-meshed strainer. Chill completely. Remove and discard the cinnamon stick. Serve soup with a scoop of lemon or cherry sorbet, if desired.

I have a teddy-bear bottle full of fresh honey that makes me smile. And I like cherries. And I always let my food get cold before I eat it. And PLUS: Troy with Junk Exchange said it was 101degrees here yesterday... that's crazy! It's only the first week of June! Chilled Cherry Soup sho' 'nuff sounds tasty.

google images

Have you ever made cherry soup before?

comin' to you LIVE from a single-wide where I should also tell you that frozen cherries make your nose feel better after you drop a metal shelf on to the tip of it and it turns red like a cherry and then it looks like someone beat you up side the nose with a whisk. Or a blender. I don't think this is my week... who's cooking?
Blog Widget by LinkWithin