Wednesday, June 30

ick.

I have a cold.  Who gets a cold the week before a holiday week-end?  I do.  ICK.

Because I'm not normal. (I'm never normal, I can't even blame it on the cold medicine or the possibility that "the Momma" dropped me on my head.) I don't go for the chicken noodle... I go for the egg drop soup!  I don't know why.  I've already admitted to not being so normal.  Last night I had some and I thought, "I can make this" (probably never a good thought for me):

Serves 4 (Big Fat Fatty Cat likes it too - I'll share.)
Hands-on Time: 15m
Total Time: 1hr 05m (does this time include the pending arrival of the fire department I wonder?)

Ingredients
1 3 1/2- to 4-pound chicken
6 carrots, peeled
4 celery stalks
1 large yellow onion, quartered
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
2 lightly beaten eggs
4 scallions (white and light green parts), thinly sliced

Directions
1. Rinse the chicken inside and out and pat it dry with paper towels. Place the chicken in a large pot. (Can I not just buy a can of chicken?)

2. Cut 3 of the carrots and 2 of the celery stalks into 1-inch pieces. Quarter the onion. Add the cut vegetables to the pot with the salt, peppercorns, and enough cold water to cover (about 8 cups). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, skimming any foam that rises to the top, until the chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a bowl and let cool.

3. Strain the broth, discarding the vegetables. Return the broth to the pot.

4. Thinly slice the remaining carrots and celery. Add them, along with the rice to the broth and simmer 10 minutes. Slowly stir in the eggs and cook until set.

5. Meanwhile, when the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the meat. Add it along with the scallions to the soup. Ladle into individual bowls. (One for me... one for Fatty Cat...)

Tip
A hard-boiled egg in its shell will twirl freely when spun on its side. A raw egg will wobble.
(I've GOT to try that!!! Where's my eggs...)


Or... I could just go back through the chinese take-out place.  Or... who's cooking?

Comin' to you LIVE from a single-wide (where I have duct tape on my forehead... it's like "the force" ya know? And I'm SURE it's a magical cure-all)...hee-hee
;-D  robelyn
Blog Widget by LinkWithin